For any average woodworker operating a small shop, the best bench top band saw is one that is portable and compact. It should also be high in performance with regard to cutting capabilities. Such a saw should also be worth the money. Additional features to look out for include ability to cut through thick materials and curves appropriately. It should also thin out woodworking and home improvement project materials well.
The bench top saw has blades, motor and blade guards as its components. There is usually no stand, because the saw is mounted on a bench or table.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Benchtop Bandsaw:
Different blades used in this tool create different cuts. Usually they are circular or round with varying sizes. The needs of the user will determine which band saw types are selected. Other band saw blades consist of cutting teeth on one edge of the metal blade. These vary in terms of width. Jigsaw blades, which are short, straight, and attached on mounting pins, are available too. These vary in terms of tooth sizes and configurations. Different cuts require different tooth sizes. For example, smaller teeth are for finer cuts, while larger teeth are for rougher cuts.
2. Blade Guards
Blade guards are essential for safety of the user. they are instrumental in helping to prevent the user from coming into contact with the blades, which can cause very nasty accidents.
An electric motor is also an essential component of the band saw. It is used to power the saw for use. The sizes and capacities of the saw vary. A belt attachment assembly is usually used to connect the motor to the saw. The motor is not large, but quite small in a manner similar to other tools of a freestanding nature.
4. Accuracy Of Cuts
Inaccurate cuts are not a good thing regardless of whether you are a metalworker or woodworker. You will be forced to do repeat cuts, which will take a lot of your time. A band saw, which has maximum precision possible, would therefore come in quite handy.
If you want to know how durable a band saw can be, then the internet is awash with reviews of this nature. A durable saw gives you great value for money.
1. Proxxon 37172 Micro Band Saw MBS/E
Proxxon Micro-Band Saw MBS/E – Solid ribbed die cast aluminum housing (no tubular or sheet metal) with a sturdy machined aluminum table with slot for miter gauge. Table tilts 45° for accurate miter sawing. Very quiet, high quality motor with toothed belt for prolonged operation. Electronically controlled variable speeds allow for exceptional accurate cutting without need for additional finishing. Comes with blade size of 42 inch x 13/64 x 1/64 inch. Ideal for fine work and permits cutting small radius materials. Also comes with chart that indicates recommended speeds for practically all materials.
- Speed: 395 to 820 ft./minute (with feedback control)
- Throat Depth: 5-29/32 inch with maximum work piece height of 3-13/32 inch
- Table size 7-7/8 inch x 8-11/16 inch; 110-120V AC, 60 HZ
- Includes adapter to connect with vacuum cleaner
- Optional Coolant Kit, number 28188 available for wet cutting
2. Rikon 10-305 Bandsaw With Fence, 10-Inch
The Rikon 10-Inch Bandsaw Model 10-305 offers all of the same quality features found in larger bandsaws. Includes 1/3HP motor, cast iron table and 4-5/8-Inch re-saw capacity. The 10-305 also includes a fence and micro adjustable guide post height. A 2-1/2-Inch dust port keeps your work area clear of dust.
- Solid Steel Design – The 10-305 is a scaled down version of the popular 10-345 and 10-325
- Frame is made of steel plate, stronger than plastic frames used by other manufactures
- Cast Iron Table-Large 13-3/4-Inch by 12-1/2-Inch sturdy work surface, a feature not typically found on a bandsaw of this size
- Rip Fence- A quality rip fence is now included. Easily removed to do free hand work
- Motor – 1/3HP motor provides ample power for cutting bowl and pen blanks
- Micro Adjustable Guide Post- Raise and lower the guide post height with the turn of a handle
3. Craftsman 1/3 hp 3.5 amp 10 in Band Saw
This Craftsman Band Saw nimbly slices through soft and hard woods alike, allowing you to cut intricate details and smooth curves that other saws just can’t. From clever jig saw puzzles to ornate furnishings, this saw delivers control and an ultra precise, steady 2,780 foot per minute flow of razor sharp steel teeth giving you the best possible cut every time you flip this machine on. The perfect addition to any shop, it’s quick to adjust, featuring a tilt-able cast iron deck and movable fence for accurate cuts you can count on.
- Full kit includes: saw, rip fence and miter gauge
- The Craftsman Band Saw’s 3.5 Amp motor provides smooth, continuous muscle with 1/3 HP making it perfect for cutting both soft and hardwoods
- Open design delivers 4-5/8 in. maximum depth of cut at 90° and 9-5/8 in. throat depth
- Cutting table adjusts easily from 0–45 degrees for a variety of angled cuts
- Adjustable ball bearing blade guides deliver the perfect tension and support for long blade life
- 2,780 FPM blade rotations cuts plastic, wood and more leaving clean, smooth lines
- Dust collection port allows you to attach your wet/dry vac for dust reduction
4. WEN 3960 2.8-Amp 9-Inch Benchtop Band Saw
The WEN 9-Inch Benchtop Band Saw attacks boards with cuts up to 3-5/8 inches deep and 9 inches wide. The 2.8-amp motor rotates the blade at up to 2460 feet per minute. The design of this saw uses 62-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches in width for both intricate yet powerful cuts. The spacious work table measures in at 12 x 12 inches in size and can be swiveled up to 45 degrees. This package includes a handy carrying handle, an onboard dust port, a fence for creating straight cuts, a miter gauge, an adjustable blade guard, and a tension-release handle for quick blade adjustments. Ball-bearings give the blade smooth operation and a long lasting life for years of dependable service.
- 2.8 amp motor rotates the blade up to 2460 feet per minute
- Create cuts up to 3-5/8 inches deep and 9 inches wide
- Uses 62-inch blades anywhere from 1/8 to 3/8 inches in size
- Spacious 12 x 12 inch work table bevels up to 45 degrees
- Includes a 2-year warranty, a dust port, a fence, a miter gauge and a quick-release blade adjustment lever
5. POWERTEC BS900 Band Saw, 9-Inch
Induction Motor. 1/2 HP, 2.5 Amps, 1725 RPM, Blade Size: 62″ x 1/8″ x 3/8″, Aluminum Die Casting Table Size: 11-3/4″ x 11-3/4″, Dust Port: 2″, Throat Depth: 9″, Max. Depth of Cut at 90 degrees: 3-5/8″, Max. Depth of Cut at 45 degrees: 2″. 50 lbs.
- Patented blade guard adjustment for quick and easy blade change
- Table with rack and pinion adjustment for easy tilt to 45 degrees
- Blade tracking window
- Quick release blade tension lever makes blade changing easy (patented)
- Blade width range 1/8-Inch to 3/8-Inch increased versatility for scroll cutting and resawing
6. SKIL 3386-01 2.5-Amp 9-Inch Band Saw
The SKIL 3386-02 120-volt 9-inch band saw features a 2.5-Amp motor, a ribbed aluminum table with tilting adjustment ranging from 0 to 45, and a blade guide adjustment for custom depth settings. This versatile band saw is intelligently designed with an attached flexible lamp for increased visibility and a mitre gauge. The table top is a full 11-13/16-inch square and the cutting depth is 3-1/8-inch with a throat depth of 9-inches. It comes with a flexible work light, blade, parallel guide, miter gauge, and hex key.
- Rip fence for straight, accurate cuts
- Articulating LED work light for better view of work piece and cut-line
- Features a 1-1/2-inch dust port that keeps work area clear of dust
- Rack and pinion table adjustment for quick angle and height adjustments
- Motor is 1-speed for wood or metal based materials
7. Genesis GBS900 9-Inch Band Saw
The Genesis 9in. Band Saw is one of the most versatile benchtop tools you can own It handles rip cuts, crosscuts and curved cuts in all kinds of dimensional lumber. It’s great for woodworking, hobby and all kinds of DIY projects. The saw accepts 59 1/4in. or 59 1/2in. blades of all widths and TPI, making this a very versatile cutting tool.
- 2.2-Amp Induction Motor for Quiet, Smooth Performance
- Rack and Pinion Table Adjustment
- Cast Aluminum table Tilts up to 45 Degree
- Built-In Dust
- Includes: Miter Gauge, Rip Fence and Allen wrenches
- Band saw reviews and buying guide 2017
- Best Portable Band Saw 2017
- Best Stand Mounted Bandsaws 2017
- Best Floor Standing Bandsaws 2017