You probably know what a cordless drill is. But what everybody doesn’t know is that some cordless drills have a hammer function, and what exactly a hammer function is.
So… What exactly is a hammer drill?
A hammer drill is a drill that has the ability of providing a short, rapid hammer thrust so that the material is pulverized. The mission of the hammer drill is to drill quicker with less effort. The hammer drill has a special designed clutch that not only spins the drill bit (like a conventional cordless drill), but also punches the drill horizontally and vertically in small motions at the same time. The stroke of each punch isn’t much and the power isn’t great. The reason why the hammer drill pulverizes the material is because of the speed. You have thousands of BPM (blows per minute) that together with the rotating motions of the drill that cause the material to crack faster than with a conventional cordless drill. Most hammer drills has a switch that allows you to turn of the hammer function, so that you can use the cordless drill on more conventional tasks like driving screws.
Where is it suitable to use a cordless hammer drill?
Typical tasks for a hammer drill are concrete, masonry or bricks. Everybody that has done some drilling in thick concrete knows that a good hammer drill is essential. Of course you have some powerful conventional drills, but regardless, the horizontally and vertically motion together with the rotary motion, makes the drilling real smooth and easy with the hammer drill. There is no point using your hammer drill in woods or metal, as you can’t pulverize those materials. In fact you can end up hurting yourself, damage the drill bit and the material you are drilling in. The hammer drill is for brittle materials only.
- 10 Best Hammer Drills 2017
- 1. DEWALT DCD950KX 18-Volt XRP 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver/Hammerdrill Kit
- 2. Makita XPH07M 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2-Inch Hammer Driver-Drill Kit
- 3. Bosch HDH181X-01 18-volt 1/2-Inch Brute Tough Hammer Drill/Driver with Active Response Technology
- 4. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL 1/2″ Hammer Drill/Driver (Bare Tool)
- 5. DEWALT DWD520K 1/2-Inch VSR Pistol Grip Hammerdrill Kit
- 6. Hitachi DV18DSDLP4 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill (Tool Only, No Battery)
- 7. BOSTITCH BTE140K 7-Amp 1/2-Inch VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill Kit
- 8. Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill
- 9. PORTER-CABLE PC70THD VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill, 1/2-Inch
- 10. SKIL 6445-04 7.0 Amp 1/2 In. Hammer Drill
1. DEWALT DCD950KX 18-Volt XRP 1/2-Inch Drill/Driver/Hammerdrill Kit
Handle everything from wood and steel to masonry and concrete with the DEWALT DCD950KX 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Cordless XRP Hammerdrill/Drill/Driver Kit. With its high-efficiency motor, this DEWALT tool makes quick work of drilling and fastening tasks at hand. Enjoy the patented, three-speed transmission and comfortable grip for job-specific performance and less user fatigue.
- Powerful 18-volt motor delivers 450 unit watts out
- Three-speed transmission for job-specific performance
- Easy-to-maneuver, compact, lightweight design
- Improved visibility with LED
2. Makita XPH07M 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 1/2-Inch Hammer Driver-Drill Kit
The Makita XPH07M breaks new ground with a full 1,090 in.lbs. of torque for the most demanding drilling and driving applications in wood, masonry and metal. It’s powered by a Makita brushless motor for longer run time, increased power and speed, and longer tool life. The XPH07Z is positioned at the top of Makita’s deep line-up of driver-drills, and is a workhorse tool engineered with durability features for operation in harsh job site conditions. The 18V LXT 4.0 Ah battery provides 35% more run time per charge than the BL1830 battery, yet it charges in only 40 minutes – the fastest charge-time in the category – for less downtime and increased productivity.
- BL Brushless Motor delivers 1,090 in.lbs. of Max Torque
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 8-1/8″ long and weighs only 5.9 lbs. with battery
- 3-stage L.E.D. gauge indicates battery charge level
- 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 4.0 Ah battery BL1840 reaches a full charge in 40 minutes or less
3. Bosch HDH181X-01 18-volt 1/2-Inch Brute Tough Hammer Drill/Driver with Active Response Technology
The Bosch HDH181X 18-Volt Brute Tough Hammer Drill/Driver now features Active Response Technology, an industry first that reduces the risk of dangerous kickback during high torque applications without compromising performance. Active Response Technology uses electronic motor control to reduce the risk of harmful torque reactions in bind-up situations. An integrated acceleration sensor limits the tool’s rotation by detecting sudden movements and cutting off the motor to stop the tool. Feel more in control with the redesigned auxiliary handle. This handle is longer than previous versions and adjustable to 23 positions without having to remove it from the tool.
- A tongue-and-groove locking structure helps prevent slipping and increases control during use, while the 1/2-Inch metal chuck delivers a high clamping force
- Tackle even the toughest drilling and driving applications with 750 in-lbs of torque from the 4-pole open frame motor
- Select between 2 speeds and 25 clutch settings to optimize available torque for precise screw driving and improved drilling speed
- Bosch electronic motor and cell protection help prevent overheating and overloading – which extends tool life, runtime, and increases battery lifetime by more than 400%
4. Milwaukee 2704-20 M18 FUEL 1/2″ Hammer Drill/Driver (Bare Tool)
Brushless Motor delivers 1,200 in-lbs of peak torque and up to 2,000 RPM for faster drilling speeds. Intelligence prevents damage to the tool and battery due to overloading or overheating. Batteries deliver more work per charge and more work over the life of the battery.
- Chuck size 1/2 in., brushless motor, no load rpm 0 to 550/0 to 2000, blows per minute 0 to 32, 000
- Max. torque 1200 in.-lb., battery and charger are not included, battery capacity 5.0ah, tool weight 3.5 lb.
5. DEWALT DWD520K 1/2-Inch VSR Pistol Grip Hammerdrill Kit
Offering the versatility of dual-mode operation, the DEWALT DWD520K 1/2-Inch VSR Pistol Grip Hammer Drill Kit is a powerful tool with easy handling. An all-metal gear housing increases durability and heat dissipation in repetitive drilling, while its user-friendly design features let you work comfortably, longer. This kit includes a heavy-duty box for storage and portability, as well as 360-degree locking side handle, steel depth rod, and chuck key with holder.
- 10 amp motor with patented design for 50-percent more power and overload protection
- 1/2-inch capacity in steel, 1-1/2-inch in wood, and 5/32 to 7/16-inch in concrete
- Dual speed range (0 – 1,200 / 0 – 3,500 rpm) for greater versatility
- Includes 360-degree locking side handle with soft grip
6. Hitachi DV18DSDLP4 18-Volt Cordless Lithium-Ion Hammer Drill (Tool Only, No Battery)
Built with a heavy-duty, industrial grade 2-piece motor, the DV18DSDLP4 hammer drill is able to handle just about any task like boring large holes into wood, drilling into concrete or driving lag bolts, yet its 22-position clutch allow the user to adapt to low torque applications such as hardware installation or furniture assembly.
- Aluminum gear case for maximum durability and strength
- Metal belt hook keeps the tool close at hand
- Bright LED light for increased visibility in enclosed work spaces
- Externally accessible carbon brush for quick and easy maintenance
- Lightweight at only 4.8 lbs
7. BOSTITCH BTE140K 7-Amp 1/2-Inch VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill Kit
The BOSTITCH BTE140K 7 Amp 1/2″ VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill Kit features a 7 Amp motor which delivers plenty of power for tough applications. The Drill and Hammerdrill modes provide optimal performance in a wide variety of materials and a dual speed transmission (0-1100/0-3100) provides maximum torque and speed in low and high settings.
- It has a metal gear housing that provides additional durability and helps dissipate heat away from internal components
- The side handle with depth rod provides additional control in tough applications and improved depth accuracy
- A 1/2″ keyed metal chuck provides optimal bit retention and the ergonomic handle with over mold reduces user fatigue and improves comfort
8. Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill
The Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill Kit features a variable 2-speed transmission for precision and versatility and delivers up to 1,500 RPM and 19,500 BPM for powerful performance. Its 24-position clutch handles high-torque applications, and the clutch override allows quick mode changes from drilling to driving. The GripZone oversold enhances user comfort, and the MagTray magnetic holder accommodates screws and bits.
- 1/2 in. single sleeve keyless chuck with spindle lock for quick, easy bit changes
- Heavy duty all-metal chuck for added strength and durability
- Clutch override for quick mode changes from drilling to driving
- Drill mode: for drilling holes in wood, plastic and metal – Drive mode: for driving screws and bolts
- Hammer mode: for drilling holes in masonry and concrete
- Battery and charger are not included
9. PORTER-CABLE PC70THD VSR 2-Speed Hammer Drill, 1/2-Inch
The PORTER CABLE PC70THD 1/2-Inch VSR 2-Speed Hammer drill features a 7.0 Amp motor that delivers the power and durability to complete the toughest drilling applications. The ability to switch between hammer drill and drill modes provides versatility for drilling into metal, wood, concrete, brick, block and many other materials.
- The cast metal gear housing helps dissipate heat from internal components for additional durability and a dual speed transmission (0-1,100 & 0-3,100) provides maximum torque in setting one and maximum speed in setting two
- A streamlined over mold body and handle allow for increase comfort and reduced user fatigue
- Two finger locking trigger provides ease of use during extended use
- It also features a side handle that provides more control in heavy applications and bind up situations
- A 1/2-Inch metal chuck and key provides holding pressure for increased bit retention
10. SKIL 6445-04 7.0 Amp 1/2 In. Hammer Drill
This powerful SKIL 6445-04 7 Amp 1/2 In. corded hammer drill is the ideal tool for tough applications. The 1/2 In. keyed chuck accepts larger diameter bits designed for woodworking and cutting while the side-assist handle provides more support when needed. The variable speed trigger accelerates smoothly from low to high speeds, while the 2-finger trigger with lock-on option gives you even more control.
- Poweful 7.0 amp motor for tough applications
- 1/2 in. keyed chuck to accept large diameter bits designed for woodworking and cutting
- Side assist handle for controlled, accurate drilling
- Variable Speed trigger for controlled drilling speed