If your field of expertise requires you to perform various woodwork and such other related craft, then you would always wish to prefer that you have the right tools to achieve the best results possible. Since this field requires you to work with wood that have the smoothest surfaces, it is a good idea for you to invest in a reliable wood planer.
These days, buying this equipment is no longer really that challenging, especially since most of the hardware shops around the locality are selling these units in their shelves. On top of that, the number of manufacturers of these products that are currently present in the market is making it even easier for people to make comparisons, draw contracts, and later, make the best choice.
However, since one has to invest a good deal of cash on buying these devices, it is only right that they will actually spend some time in determining which among the many available options for them will be most appropriate for them to use and will be most suitable for the types of applications that they will be performing. This is necessary so at the end of the day, they know they have invested well.
- 12 Best Wood Planers 2017
- 1. Jet – JWP-208HH: 20-inch Helical Head Planer, 5 HP 1 Phase
- 2. Powermatic 1791213 15HH 3 HP 15-Inch Planer with 230-Volt 1 Phase Byrd Shelix Helical Cutterhead
- 3. SHOP FOX W1754 20-Inch Planer with Built-In Mobile Base
- 4. Shop Fox W1812 Planer Moulder with Stand
- 5. DEWALT DW735X 13″ Two-Speed Planer Package
- 6. Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
- 7. Grizzly G0505 12-1/2-Inch Planer
- 8. Cutech 40200H-CT 13″ Spiral Cutterhead Planer – Professional Model
- 9. WEN 6552 3-Blade 15 Amp Benchtop Thickness Planer, 13″
- 10. Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thickness Planer
- 11. PORTER CABLE 15 Amp 12 in. Thickn
- 12. POWERTEC PL1251 12-1/2-Inch 15-Amp Planer
Things To Consider When Buying A Wood Planer
One should first start by determining the exact applications that he will be using the device for and of course, how often is he going to perform such an application. Naturally, one would prefer to choose equipment that has the necessary capacity to carry out all the tasks that you will be requiring it to perform without having to endure that much wear and tear.
When you will purchase a wood planer, you should always have a goal of being able to use the equipment for a considerable amount of time. Every buyer out there would not really appreciate it if they are not able to maximize the use of the equipment because it has already disintegrated even only after a short period of time. Thus, try to aim for the sturdier ones.
Check the capacity of the device and compare it with the amount of tasks that you are likely going to subject it to. Most of the time, these units tend to last only for a shorter lifespan because users are not able to properly assess the compatibility of the amount of workload that is performed to the actual capacity of the equipment. This will help prevent issues like overexertion and overheating.
It also helps if you will checkout reviews that have been made about the unit that you are about to purchase. These reviews are often conducted by people who belong to the third parties with the goal of enlightening future buyers about how good or not the equipment is. This way, they can be sure about what to expect the moment they will start using the device.
People should also ask for warranties when buying wood planer. These devices cost a considerable amount and hence, they have to be sure that they are being offered something that should be worth all their pennies. Checking and comparing the prices too.
1. Jet – JWP-208HH: 20-inch Helical Head Planer, 5 HP 1 Phase
A woodworker’s dream, the JWP-208HH helical head planer quickly and quietly transforms rough lumber into smooth boards, with a full 20” planing width. Its heavy-duty cast iron and steel construction keeps the workpiece steady and supported, while the conveniently located two-speed gear box allows for quick and easy feed rate adjustments. This machine means business with a powerful 5 HP induction motor combined with a helical insert cutterhead housing 92 staggered carbide knives. You’ll appreciate the sets of three steel infeed and outfeed rollers to help prevent annoying snipe. A large cast-iron table with smooth-as-glass surface makes this planer a beautiful addition to the shop. And since planers kick up a lot of dust, they made dust collection easy with an exclusive angled 4″ dust port to keep your hose out of the way.
- Helical insert cutterhead with staggered carbide inserts for a superior finish and quieter cut
- Heavy-duty cast iron and steel construction for added strength and durability
- Two-speed gear box with automatic chain tensioner lets you adjust the feed rate to meet your needs
- Large, cast iron, precision ground table for precise workpiece support
- Powerful 5 HP TEFC induction motor with three V-belt transmission for smooth and consistent power
2. Powermatic 1791213 15HH 3 HP 15-Inch Planer with 230-Volt 1 Phase Byrd Shelix Helical Cutterhead
Featuring a top-of-the-line helical cutterhead for smooth cutting and fine finishes, the Powermatic 15HH 15-Inch Planer is ideal for precision wood dimensioning. Accurate and dependable, this planer’s powerful motor, smooth feeds, precise depth-of-cut adjustments, robust construction, and integrated dust hood set a new standard in wood planing.
- Byrd helical cutterhead with 98 four-sided knife inserts provides smoother, quieter cutting and finer finish than conventional systems.
- Powerful 3HP TEFC motor controlled by magnetic switch for safety.
- Three V-belts transfer maximum power to the cutterhead.
- Serrated steel infeed roller and smooth steel outfeed roller allow for 1/8-Inch maximum depth of cut and trouble-free operation.
- Large cast iron handwheel positions table quickly and easily.
3. SHOP FOX W1754 20-Inch Planer with Built-In Mobile Base
With its built-in locking mobile base and pedestal-mounted switch, the Model W1754 planer is easy to move and operate. Just press down on the lock lever with your foot and this planer is mobile. Packed with features such as a 55-5/8-inch long precision-ground cast iron table with the cast iron extension wings, two feed speeds, return rollers, a 20-by-8-inch capacity, adjustable bed rollers, magnetic switch with thermal overload protection, and a 5 HP motor.
- Feed rollers: solid serrated steel
- Pedestal mounted magnetic safety switch with thermal protection
- Four column support with table locks
- Two speed gear box
- Cast iron extension wings
- Built-in retractable mobile base
4. Shop Fox W1812 Planer Moulder with Stand
This next generation Planer / Moulder features precision ground cast iron wings for greater work support, T-slots for easy guide rail adjustment, pedestal mounted switch, improved chip clearance, one-piece enclosed stand and variable speed control for unsurpassed planing and moulding capability. Open end design allows you to make elliptical mouldings with the optional elliptical jig. If you make your own mouldings and frames, you need this machine!
- Precision-ground cast iron infeed and outfeed extension wings
- Dovetailed way for cutterhead housing with precision gib adjustments
- Pedestal-mounted control switch with variable speed control
- Power feed motor: 1/8 HP, 180VDC, 1A
- Power feed motor speed: 0-55 RPM
- Variable speed power feed with chain drive power transfer
5. DEWALT DW735X 13″ Two-Speed Planer Package
With a 19-3/4″ cast aluminum base it is 2X more rigid than a standard 10″ base and folding tables. The automatic carriage lock reduces the movement that causes snipe without the need for manual engagement by the user. It also has a material removal gauge and extra-large thickness scale that deliver accurate cuts with every pass. The extra-large turret depth stop allows users to return to most frequently used thicknesses with ease.
- Powerful 15 AMP, 20,000 RPM motor (10,000 RPM cutterhead speed) handles larger cuts in wider materials with ease
- Three knife cutter-head delivers 30% longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier
- Two speed gear box allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Fan-assisted chip ejection vacuums chips off of the cutter-head and exhausts them out of the machine
- Includes infeed and outfeed tables and an extra set of knives
6. Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp
The Makita 12-Inch Portable Planer delivers portability and productivity with a compact design, quieter operation, and faster, easier blade changes. The 2012NB features Makita’s exclusive Interna-Lok automated head clamp to eliminate snipe for improved planning performance.
- The 2012NB features a 15 AMP motor with a no-load speed of 8,500 RPM and the quietest (83 dB) operation in its class
- The 2012NB is compact and lightweight for easy transport to the job site
- The 2012NB has faster and easier blade changes, and uses disposable double-edge planer blades
- The L.E.D. light indicates that the planer is plugged into the power source, and the large paddle on/off switch is easy to operate
- The 2012NB also has a detachable tool box for storage of the standard equipment
- An optional dust hood enables a dust collection system to be connected to the planer
7. Grizzly G0505 12-1/2-Inch Planer
This new 12-1/2″ planer features a 2 HP motor 10 000 RPM cutter head 32 FPM feed rate top-mounted return rollers and extra large table extensions. Also other little things like 1/8″ thick knives are proof that this dynamo will rule the jobsite for years.
- Maximum cutting width: 12-1/2″; Maximum cutting height: 6″
- Maximum depth of cut: 3/32″
- Minimum board thickness: 13/64″
- Two double edged HSS knives in cutter head
- Cutter head RPM: 10 000; Feed Rate: 32 FPM
- Number of cuts per inch: 52
- 2 HP 110V 15 Amps; On/Off Toggle Switch with Safety Lock
- Thermal overload protection; Top mounted return rollers
- Includes knife setting jig and wrench
8. Cutech 40200H-CT 13″ Spiral Cutterhead Planer – Professional Model
With its 4 heavy duty guide posts and 2 heavy duty screw posts design, cutterhead snipe lock, internal gears for height adjustment, depth Repeat Cut and large tables, it has all the features a pro would need. And at about 90lbs, it can still be maneuvered to and around a job site. The 40200H also features their newly redesigned spiral style cutterhead with 26 2-sided tips and a redesigned dust chute. Both of these new features create better chip removal and lessen the chance for tear out due to poor chip evacuation even on hardwoods and figured stock. The individual cutter tips can easily and quickly be rotated or changed with very little downtime, keeping your project moving forward and on time saving you money. The standard 2 ½” and 4” dual sized dust port is included along with the tools necessary to change or rotate cutter tips.
- POWERFUL 15 AMP MOTOR
- Spiral Cutterhead with 26 Two-sided HSS inserts
- Extra Large Infeed & Outfeed Tables: 14″ X 14″
- Slide Depth Stop, Snipe Lock and Built-in Dust Port
- 2 Years Product Warranty
9. WEN 6552 3-Blade 15 Amp Benchtop Thickness Planer, 13″
The WEN 13-inch 3-Blade Benchtop Thickness Planer repurposes rough and worn wood to give it an exceptionally smooth finish. The powerful 15-amp motor provides over 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate. Plane boards up to 13 Inch wide and 6 Inch thick with ease. The onboard planning gage helps inform users about the amount of material being removed during each pass. Combine that with the heavy duty cast iron base for a sturdy planer that does not walk or wobble during operation. The handy depth adjustment knob varies each pass to take off anywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch. The fan-assisted dust port removes chips and sawdust from the work piece and blasts them out of the way. This package also includes height-adjustable infeed and outfeed tables to limit snipe while providing extra support to your work piece during planning.
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 Inch thick and 13 Inch wide
- 15A motor generates 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
- Three-blade design makes easy work out of even the hardest of woods
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from work piece
10. Delta Power Tools 22-555 13 In Portable Thickness Planer
Scale allows for accurately planing material. Stow blade changing tools with ease. Reversible dust port provides choices for how you want to connect a dust collector. Built with quality and backed with a 5 Year Limited Warranty.
- Powerful 15A motor capable of handling the demands of a small shop
- Four column design provides excellent stability for smooth, accurate planing over many years of use
- Quick-change knife system with dual edge disposable knives lets you change knives without difficult to use alignment jigs
- Adjustable infeed and outfeed tables to better support long pieces and reduce snipe
- Reversible dust port allows you to collect chips from the right or left side of planer
11. PORTER CABLE 15 Amp 12 in. Thickn
Porter-Cable PC305TP 12-1/2″ 15 Amp Double Edged Quick Change Benchtop Planer. Powerful 15 Amp motor for superior stock removal. Two knife, quick change, solid steel cutter, head mounted on ball bearings, assures smooth operation and long life
- High Carbon Steel, double edged, reversible knives for twice the cutting life
- Patented cutter elevation on four precision ground columns for superior cut stability
- Poly V Belt cutter head drive with rugged gearbox/chain and sprocket feed roller drive for maximum power transfer
12. POWERTEC PL1251 12-1/2-Inch 15-Amp Planer
POWERTEC PL1251 12-1/2-Inch 15-Amp Planer. Thickness Capacity: 1/8″. Max. Width of Stock: 12-1/2″. Max. Thickness of Stock: 6″. Max. Depth of Cut: 3/32″ for board less than 5″; 1/32″ for the board between 5″ to 12-1/2″. Cutter head Speed: 9400 RPM. 18, 800 Cuts per Minute.
- Index pin set-up for EZ blade replacement
- No blade gauge requirement
- Four-column design for greater stability and accuracy
- Work piece return roller for assistance when planning extra long boards
- Side mounted carrying handles for portability
- Spindle lock for safe blade Change