Are you in the market for an electric chainsaw? Electric Chainsaws are perfect for light cutting work around the yard. There are plenty of reasons to choose electric over gas chainsaws, so keep reading to compare electric chainsaw offerings from Hitachi, Ryobi, Remington and Homelite.
- Why Choose Electric Chainsaws?
- 9 Best Electric Chainsaws 2017
- 1. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw with PureFire Engine
- 2. OREGON CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chain Saw
- 3. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 HP 15.0 Amp
- 4. Makita UC4051A Electric Chain Saw, 16″
- 5. WORX WG303.1 16-Inch Chain Saw, 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp
- 6. Earthwise 16-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Chain Saw, Model CS30116
- 7. BLACK+DECKER CS1518 15-Amp Corded Chainsaw, 18-Inch
- 8. GreenWorks 20232 12-Amp 16-Inch Corded Chainsaw
- 9. Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14- Inch Electric Chainsaw
Why Choose Electric Chainsaws?
There are plenty of reasons why choosing an electric chainsaw makes sense over choosing a gas chainsaw:
- Lightweight: generally, electric chainsaws weight a lot less than gas chainsaws. This is part due to the way electric saws don’t need to carry fuel around.
- Convenient: if you’ve ever had starting issues on a gas chainsaw, you know how frustrating it can be used to get the machine to turn on. This isn’t the case with electric saws. Instead., all you have to do is pull the trigger and the saw starts to go. It’s simple and convenient — as long as there’s a power source.
- Inexpensive: using an electric chainsaw is much less expensive than a gas saw. That’s because they take less maintenance, use less oil, and generally keep better when they’ve been sitting for a while. A gas chainsaw is an engine, and like any engine, they require regular maintenance to work properly. electric saws are much simpler.
Of course, there are a few downsides to choosing an electric saw.
- One of these is that you have to have an electric power source nearby so you can plug the saw’s power cord into the wall.
- Another is that electric saws tend to have a bit less power than gasoline chainsaws. However, since they are lighter, they make much more ideal landscaping tools.
1. Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1CC 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw with PureFire Engine
The Hitachi CS51EAP 50.1cc 20-Inch Rear Handle Chain Saw with PureFire Engine was built for the commercial user who needs to be able to cut large trees quickly. The CS51EAP features a 50.1cc commercial grade PureFire engine that provides clean, powerful performance with less fuel consumption. The decompression valve makes starting this tool easy and the bumper spikes and sprocket nose bar provides added control for easier cuts. The CS51EAP is also simple to operate with side access chain tensioning and an automatic and adjustable oiler so the user can adjust oil flow to the bar and chain. Other features include a half throttle choke with trigger release for easy start and warm up, tool-less access to the air filter, a spring type anti-vibration system for user comfort and less fatigue and a strong double pole brake handle for safety and ease of mind. Depending upon user preference, an optional 16-Inch and 18-Inch bar and chain are available.
- 50.1cc commercial grade PureFire engine provides clean, powerful performance with less fuel consumption
- Decompression valve, primer bulb and auto return choke for starting easy and warm-up
- Automatic and adjustable oiler so user can adjust oil flow to the bar and chain
- Bumper spikes and sprocket nose bar provides added control for easier cuts
- Comes with a 7-year consumer, 2-year commercial and 1-year rental warranty
2. OREGON CS1500 Self-Sharpening Electric Chain Saw
OREGON’s high-power, 15 amp CS1500 chain saw is the only corded electric chain saw on the market with a chain that can sharpen itself. The CS1500 has all the traditional conveniences of an electric saw – instant start with the pull of a trigger, minimal maintenance, low noise and silent between cuts – and takes it one step further by incorporating the built-in PowerSharp chain sharpening system. With a simple pull of the red PowerSharp lever, you’ll take your chain from dull to sharp in as little as 3 seconds so you’ll never cut with a dull chain again.
- High power motor, 15 Amp for fast cutting with a 18″ (45 cm) reduced-kickback guide bar and chain
- Tool-less chain tensioning system along with PowerSharp chain sharpening system
- Ergonomic design to remain light-weight and balanced, low vibration, over-mold comfortable handle
- Integrated chain brake for safety
- Low maintence chain saw backed by 2-year consumer and 1-year professional warranty.
3. WORX WG304.1 Chain Saw 18-Inch 4 HP 15.0 Amp
The 18-Inch 4.0 HP 15.0 Amp chainsaw is a cut above the rest. The WORX exclusive, patented tool-free chain replacement and auto-tensioning system eliminates the headaches faced with most other chain saws. You don’t need to be a lumberjack to operate a chainsaw. The auto-tension system includes a single, oversized knob that secures the bar and chain and maintains proper tension during operation-automatically. The WORX auto-tensioning system also works to extend bar and chain life by eliminating any chance of over-tightening. What’s more, all-metal dogs at the base of the long, 18-inch bar help add stability during cutting, while an easy-to-lubricate sprocket on the bar nose helps preserve the life of the tool. Powerful enough for your toughest jobs, the WORX electric chain saws produce anywhere from 4.0 peak horsepower. The WORX 18-Inch chainsaw also offers gas-free, hassle-free operation. Designed for Safety and Comfort. The WORX chain saws include a built-in safety chain brake that stops the chain in seconds when improper contact is made, protecting you in the event of kickback. Additionally, a rubber over-molded rear handle and ergonomic full-wrap front handle provide optimum operator control and comfort.
- Electric chainsaw with 4 horsepower, 15 amp motor
- Patented auto tensioning chain tightening system
- Built-in chain brake for safety
- Comes fully assembled right out of the box
- Backed by two year warranty; emission free thanks to electric power
4. Makita UC4051A Electric Chain Saw, 16″
“Tool-less” blade and chain adjustments for convenient operation and easy maintenance. Rubberized grip handles are ergonomically designed for comfort. Large trigger switch with soft start for smooth start-ups. Built-in current limiter helps protect motor from burnout by reducing power to motor when saw is overloaded. Large oil reservoir with view window allows operator to check bar oil level.
- Automatic chain oiler for heavy continuous cutting
- Electric chain brake for maximum productivity
- Zero emissions and reduced maintenance
- Soft start for smooth start-ups
- Current limiter helps protect motor from damage caused by heat
5. WORX WG303.1 16-Inch Chain Saw, 3.5 HP 14.5 Amp
Handle the cutting jobs around your yard with the Worx WG303 16 in. electric chain saw. It is lightweight but powerful enough to take on tasks such as cutting firewood, clearing brush, trimming trees and more. Since it’s electric, it produces no harmful emissions and has minimal operating costs.
- As powerful as a gas chainsaw with 3.5hp and 14.5 amp
- The chain mechanism prevents over-tightening and stays at the right tension for hundreds of uses
- Install and tighten a replacement chain with no tools. Auto chain lubrication
- Low kickback bar and safety chain stop
- Power Source : Corded-electric
6. Earthwise 16-Inch 12-Amp Corded Electric Chain Saw, Model CS30116
This Earthwise corded electric chain saw is easy to use with no mess, and it starts every time. It’s the perfect size for clearing brush, trimming trees or stockpiling firewood. It features a 16″ Oregon bar and chain with a tool-free chain adjustment. An automatic oiling system keeps the saw lubricated so you don’t have to stop working. This chain saw also has an oil level window, rubber over molded handle and includes a bar and chain cover for safe storage. No gas needed so there are no fumes. Note: Chainsaw does not come with bar/chain oil, please fill oil reservoir with new bar and chain oil or SAE 30 weight motor oil. Earthwise is the Clean Air Choice!
- 16″ Oregon bar and chain
- Automatic oiling system
- Tool-less chain tension adjustment
7. BLACK+DECKER CS1518 15-Amp Corded Chainsaw, 18-Inch
The Black & Decker CS1518 15amp 18″ Corded Chainsaw offers a 15 Amp powerful motor for large branches and demanding cuts. This chain saw has an 18″ Oregon low-kickback bar and chain for improved cutting performance. It offers tool-free chain tensioning for quick and easy chain adjustments, along with an automatic oiling system which ensures constant bar and chain lubrication. It has a clear window so you can monitor the oil levels and also has a chain break feature for optimal safety during usage. This is backed by Black & Decker’s 2 year limited warranty.
- Powerful 15 Amp motor
- 18″ Oregon low-kickback bar and chain
- Tool-free chain tensioning
- Automatic oiling system
- Chain break feature for safety during use
8. GreenWorks 20232 12-Amp 16-Inch Corded Chainsaw
GreenWorks offer a range of systems to choose from in corded and cordless tools. Leading in innovation, the corded Lawn system offers a variety of tools to get all your yard work done quickly and efficiently. Whether you need something economical or with greater performance, the GreenWorks Corded Lawn Tools provide reliable options without the hassle of gas or the high cost of operation throughout the years. Get started within seconds and leave the gas hassle behind. Choose from trimmers, chainsaws, mowers, snow throwers, dethatchers, pressure washers and more-all GreenWorks Corded Lawn Tools are backed by a 4 Year Warranty. For a cordless option, check out GreenWorks G-20V, G-24V and G-MAX 40V Tools.
- 12 amp electric motor delivers powerful cutting performance
- 16-Inch bar and chain rips through limbs making clean up jobs easier
- Tool-Less chain tensioning for quick adjustments so you can get back to the task at hand
- Wrap around handle provides user comfort while clearing debris
- Metal bucking spikes provides added grip while felling a tree
9. Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14- Inch Electric Chainsaw
Designed to cut small limbs and saplings, the Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim electric chainsaw provides rugged construction and user-friendly features. The Limb N Trim is equipped with an 8 AMP motor and has a 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain. It comes with a push-button oiler and an external adjustment system for reliable chain tensioning. Unlike gas-powered tools, this electric chainsaw does not require gasoline, and it’s easier to start. Whatever your task, this machine can adapt and help you get the job done. It also comes fully assembled and is backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
- This compact, lightweight design is easy to use for all your small limb trimming needs
- 14-inch low-kickback bar and chain with 8-amp electric motor for powerful trimming
- Push-button oiler lets you add just the right amount of oil to your engine
- External chain tension adjuster makes tensioning easy for trimming
- This unit comes fully assembled for a smooth start to your operation